Find Out if Your Site Has a Manual or Algorithmic Penalty in Google
Google punishes websites by removing them from Search Engine Results Pages (SERP). If your website was punished, check its penalty type by following these instructions.
What to do?
- Go to GSC and choose your website
- Go to Messages
- If you have a message from Google that says you’re using techniques that are outside Google’s guidelines – it might mean you were manually penalized
- Go to the Manual Actions screen under Search Traffic (left sidebar) – to know what happened and how to fix it.
- Not a manual penalty? Probably an algorithmic one, but let’s make sure
- Go to GA and choose your website
- Go to Acquisition --> All Traffic --> Channels --> Organic Search
- Now watch the graph and look for the date where your organic traffic dropped dead
- To double check – go to SEMRush, enter your website and check the graph to see what was the date where you lost a lot of KW you were ranked for
- Go to this link on Moz: https://moz.com/google-algorithm-change
- Find the date where it all happened (or a close date) – to understand which algorithm update hit you, and how you might be able to fix it
- Comment or contact me for further help!
Google Search Console (GSC), Google Analytics (GA), SEMRush